The Scenario: Bills are mounting, you have no time to spend with the ones you love and the concept of personal mental health is not on your mind with all that is going on in the world. It should be. Managing stress minimizes the susceptibility to depression caused by hormonal imbalances in the brain.
What are some of the ways to promote mental well-being and why is it so important?
Sarah Newth, PhD has determined that mental well-being and health is regulated by our overall patterns and the relationship between thoughts, emotions, behaviors and body reactions. So focusing on positive behaviors in those four areas promotes mental well-being.
1. Thoughts: Change the negative thoughts about yourself and others to positive ones.
- I feel good about my life and where it is heading.
- I’m a good person even though I have some flaws.
- I know that the people in my life just want the best for me.
2. Behaviors: Change the negative behaviors that are harmful to yourself and others to positive ones.
- Do not isolate yourself or pull away from friends and family in times of need.
- Avoid the situations and people that upset you.
- Engage in hobbies or leisure activities to distract yourself from issues or concerns.
3. Body: Listen to what your body is telling you no matter what your mind or heart says.
- Pay attention to heart rate, breathing patterns, digestion, muscle tension or headaches. Listen to your body.
4. Emotions: Pay close attention to your emotions; nurture the ones that make you feel good and shy away from the ones that don’t.
- Understand what creates happiness, a sense of joy, a sense of calm, contentment, excitement, feelings of love and cheerfulness in you.
Why is mental well-being so important? According to the World Health Organization (WHO), depression will become the second largest cause of suffering by 2020 — next only to heart disease.
The Insight: The psychology of optimism is supported by mental well-being. Pay attention to your thoughts, behaviors, body reactions and emotions and work to find a balance that promotes mental well-being for you.
How do you support your own mental well-being?
A Positive Perspective for Life, Love, and Relationships