The Scenario: How do you feel today? Are you in a good mood or a little off? Our brains act as the command center controlling shifts in levels of hormones and neurotransmitters that contribute to our changing moods.
Are there ways to influence our moods by taking care of our brains?
According to psychiatrist and bestselling author Daniel G. Amen, MD, mental well-being starts with your brain. It governs how well you think on your feet, act toward other people, your emotional well-being and your feelings.
Suggested ways to optimize and exercise your brain:
- Protect Your brain from stress, injury and sleep deprivation.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle and give your brain the fuel it needs.
- Be optimistic and think positively everyday.
- Exercise each day to enhance brain functions and oxygen flow.
- Commit 15 minutes each day to learning something new.
- Relax your brain by meditating or taking extended deep breaths.
- If you think you are emotionally off balance, seek preventative professional help.
- Limit exposure to television and video games.
The Insight: Your brain is the control center for every aspect of your life. When you choose to take care of the most basic human needs like exercise, a healthy diet, water consumption and getting the proper amount of sleep for your body, mental well-being is the result.
What are you doing to optimize your brain function today?
A Positive Perspective for Life, Love, and Relationships