Thank you so much for your interest in “Outside the Comfort Zone.” I hope the week’s scenarios and The Insight was beneficial to you. Check out next week’s entries when we discuss “Over Loading”
The Friday Review recaps the information and helpful suggestions we covered this week. Enjoy!
A comfort zone can be described as a stress free or anxiety-neutral state of mind in which an individual operates. That person, in their comfort zone, is exerting a standard level of effort and does not exceed the mental boundaries created for themselves. These mental barriers give the individual an unsubstantiated sense of security and comfort.
The discomfort zone is the opposite. That is when an individual is exceeding their mental boundaries and entering a stressful scenario that does not lead them toward a new comfort zone. When it comes to comfort zones our goal is to always strive to expand or create new comfort zones and shy away from the discomfort zone.
When forced outside your comfort zone:
The imbalance of human homeostasis is commonly causes tension and discord in these situations. Homeostasis, in this case, refers to our ability to self regulate and remain in a zone where we are most comfortable and centered. If we rise above or fall below that comfort zone we naturally maintain our inner stability in spite of our surroundings.
To help find balance when outside your comfort zone:
- Focus on and create familiarities in your daily routines and personal environment
- Become more self-aware of what “peaceful” means to you and gravitate toward it
- Look for commonalities to connect with others
- Be comfortable with who you are and what you represent
When in the Comfort Zone:
Draw a circle on a piece of paper. That circle represents her comfort zone. If we draw another circle outside of that one, that then becomes the new comfort zone. The space between the two circles represents a wall of discomfort, uncertainty, and sometimes pain. To reach a new comfort zone we must pass through that wall and begin the “Experiment in You.”
The “Experiment in You” is a repeatable exercise that enables us to confront the feelings associated with a new comfort zone.
- Check yourself. Is there a strong desire or willingness to get outside your comfort zone?
- Make sure you understand “why” you want to reach the next level and that it’s for you.
- Clearly define the goal and research how others have accomplished the same end result.
- Be honest with yourself. List the personal barriers, fears, and insecurities on a checklist.
- When a goal oriented opportunity presents itself, perform the opposite action to your normal response or behavior. That’s when you are outside of your comfort zone.
- When you’re in that uncomfortable new place, be at peace with who you are, what you represent, and what you have to offer.
- Revisit the checklist and mark off each barrier that you overcame by doing the opposite of what you would have done.
When in the Discomfort Zone:
A discomfort zone is created in the same manner as a comfort zone. The exception is that it’s based on negative experiences, reinforced repetitive cues and collective societal pressures. A discomfort zone can be unlearned by rewarding the negative thought patterns with positive affirmations.
- Identify the discomfort
- Determine “why” there is discourse created with your inner balance
- Determine the specific goal that will turn your discomfort zone into a comfort zone that serves and benefits you
- Make a check list of the blissful emotions associated with your desired comfort zone
- Practice saying “no” to what causes discourse to your inner balance, what does not serve or benefit your well-being, what makes you unhappy, and takes you away from your goal
- Reward yourself with a positive affirmation each time you say “no” to the discomfort zone
- Revisit your list and check off the positive emotions you’re experiencing in your new comfort zone
The Positive Insight:
- Seek and strive for a new comfort zone and shy away from the discomfort zone
- Ambitious individuals are not limited by comfort zones
- Use your comfort zone as a reason for change and opportunity for more successful achievements
- Be mindful that we’re a part of the comfort zones for others. When we change or expand ours, we affect theirs
- No matter which zone you are seeking or avoiding, know what centers you and challenges your personal development
- Any comfort zone that doesn’t expand or change is stifling personal progress
- Take risks and let your ego get bruised more than a few times to reach a new comfort zone and create a positive perspective
Have a wonderful weekend and don’t forget to reach for your new comfort zone!
A Positive Perspective for Life, Love, and Relationships